Junior Congregation at PBJC is conducted on Saturdays from 10:30 AM-12:00 Noon.
Junior Congregation services are designed to afford our children the opportunity to participate and lead an abbreviated Shabbat Service geared to their level. It is the ideal vehicle to prepare the child for his / her Bar / Bat Mitzvah and is a necessary part of their Jewish education. Requirements will vary for each grade level and will be more extensive as the students advance. Our goal is to familiarize the children with the process so they will become comfortable in the main sanctuary leading to a meaningful bar/bat mitzvah service and beyond. We are also encouraging students to attend services and fulfill their obligation here at Pine Brook Jewish Center in order to reach that goal.
Obligations for each grade are as follows:
Kitah Aleph (3rd grade) – Students are required to attend 3 Shabbat morning services, 2 Friday night services and 1 other service for a total of 6.
Kitah Bet (4th grade) – Students are required to attend 5 Shabbat morning services and 2 Friday night services and 1 other service for a total of 8.
Kitah Gimel (5th grade) – Students are required to attend 6 Shabbat morning services, 2 Friday night services and 1 other service for a total of 9.
Kitah Dalet (6th grade) – Students are required to attend 7 Shabbat morning services, 2 Friday night services and 2 other services for a total of 11.
Shabbat Morning services and Friday night services can include Junior Congregation Shabbat services and regular PBJC services, including Shabbat Alive and early family services. Class services do count towards your obligation! Other services can be completed with the following:
- Additional Saturday morning Junior Congregation or main sanctuary services
- Attendance at: Simchat Torah, Megillah reading at Purim, Yom Hashoah, or Shavuot
- Friday evening services at PBJC or another synagogue
- One Saturday Bar/Bat Mitzvah service at another synagogue
- Shabbaton – available to kitot dalet students who spend Saturday at PBJC.
2 credits will be given to all students who stay for the Shabbaton. Any student who receives over 11 credits or more will be entitled to a special reward! In order to ensure students receive credit for attending services, we rely on the following procedures:
- Child pulling his/her card from the attendance box at Junior Congregation or Friday evening services at the PBJC
- Parent notifying the Religiou sSchool office of child’s attendance at Friday or other Saturday morning services (at PBJC or outside).
The Religious School will be able to track attendance at all other events taking place in the Synagogue.
Dress Code: We suggest the following:
- Boys: shirts with collars, slacks, sweater
- Girls: blouse and skirt or sweater, dress, slacks
Please do not send your child in sweatshirts, sweatpants, baseball caps, uniform or sneakers.