Pine Brook Jewish Center (PBJC) was founded in 1896 and originally held religious services in local farmhouses. From 1906-1912, services were held in the Sunrise Hotel on Hook Mountain Road in Pine Brook. In 1912, the first building was erected. This building was expanded in 1950 and again in 1970 when the congregation reached 75 families.
In 1982, PBJC, then consisting of about 150 families, constructed the current building. In 1995, Lake Hiawatha Jewish Center, a neighboring congregation established in 1945, merged with the PBJC, and as a result the congregation gained approximately 100 new families.
Currently, the congregation consists of more than 500 adults and several hundred children, reflecting among other things the rapid growth of the community. We have just renovated Scheinman Hall, our social hall, and now have a beautiful facility to host celebrations.